Monday, December 10, 2007

SAIT Trojan Defends Court and Country

James Poirier is both a student and a SAIT Trojan on the men’s Volleyball team but what sets him apart from other athletes is that he is also enlisted in the Canadian Navy.

Poirier, 22, got the call that he was accepted to the military just five days before school started. However, he says the call was a bit of a relief as the Canadian Navy paid him back for his tuition, book fees, lab fees, equipment costs and also pays for his transportation.

Poirier is a first-year Trojan who was born in Perth, Ontario. In addition to his volleyball skills, he also played football for the University of Guelph where he received three awards: Honourable Mention for Offensive Line, Suicide Award and Most Improved Player.

He is enrolled in the Electronics Engineering Technology program at SAIT and says that going to school is his job in the Canadian Navy right now.

“When I graduate from here I will be going off to POET (Performance Oriented Electronics Training) courses and MOC (Military Occupation Training) training…but as of right now, my job is to go to school,” Poirier said.

School, volleyball, and being a member of the Canadian Navy may seem too much to handle, but not for Poirier.

“Absolutely not…I have more than enough time to keep up with all my homework, I have enough time to go out with friends as well as play volleyball and go to classes.”

Poirier also talked about how the Navy encourages him to be a part of extracurricular activities to ensure he is staying in top shape.

“They love the fact I joined volleyball.”

Struggling to make ends meet, Poirier was working two jobs and logging in over 60 hours a week. His friends suggested to him that the Canadian Navy might be something he would be interested in.

“I’m making more money now than when I was working 60 plus hours a week.”

“I’m going to school, I’m bettering my life and when I leave school I will be automatically fast-tracked.”

Poirier talked about how being accepted into the Canadian Navy is one of his biggest accomplishments.

“Joining the Navy, getting out doing something really changing my life around is the best thing that’s happened to me so far in my life.”

Being accepted to the Canadian Navy requires Canadian citizenship, minimum of 16 years of age, meeting certain education requirements for your occupation as well as stringent fitness requirements and an in-depth interview. After graduation, recruits must serve an obligatory three years of service.

No comments: